Why buy handmade?
Why is buying handmade jewellery important?
It's a valid question when you can just hop online and find a similar item which has been: mass produced; machine made; made overseas (possibly with low wage & poor working conditions); and can be found all over the internet and high-street... hey, why wouldn't you want a cheap imitation? Maybe it's not even Sterling Silver. Maybe it's just plated. Why would you care about where it came from? Why would you want something different? Well that's the point. Different is good. Different is special. Handmade is special.
It's important to me, and to many designers and makers all over the world too. By buying a handmade item directly from the artist/maker, you are supporting a person/a family and allowing creativity and artistry to thrive. When you buy something from me, you help support my family. I have two young children and, just like everyone else, I have bills to pay. You allow me to work from home so I can be here whey my kids are sick. Yes, I put in the late nights to make up for it - this is no breezy summer's day at the beach in my noise filled house. It's hard work. I do it for the love of it. I do it to feed my family and soothe my soul.
Rhetoric aside, here are a few more reasons to buy handmade:
- Probably the most important reason is that the product is, well, handmade! That by itself translates to quality, and a whole lot of love! Love when it's made; when it's gifted; and love when it's worn.
- By choosing handmade products you support a true artist that loves what they do.
- Handmade products are more than just a product. They are unique, and you are unique.
- When you buy something handmade, you create a direct relationship with the artist/ designer of the product. You support an individual not a shareholder.
- Giving a handmade product is truly the essence of gift-giving. When you give a friend or loved one a gift, you are really saying “I care about you.”